picture found at this websiteFor many around the country it has been quite cold lately. Harrisonburg, VA has been no exception. As I sit here in my room blogging the current temp. outside is 6 degrees C according to Weather.com. I live in the JOLT house (a wonderful experience all around and worth it's own blog post) and we do not have a central heat system. We have individual systems in our rooms and space heaters. In other words, to most people's standards it's really cold. But we are guys and we are tough...or so they say.
Through this daily adventure I have come to learn some survival tips on living in a cold house like ours. Read this...it's good stuff....worth allot on the black market.
1. Buy a space heater.
2. Bring clothes into the bathroom when you shower. It is not fun walking down a cold hall almost naked.
3. Wear thick socks. I sometimes use double socks.
4. Buy a suran-wrap-like material to put around your windows. You would be surprised how much heat escapes through windows...even new windows.
5. Wear a sweatshirt to bed with a hoodie. Yeah last night I let my friend use my space heater for the night...bad idea.
6. cover wood floors with carpets. Wood does not conduct heat.
7. Everyone in the house sleep in one bed. The JOLT guys have not tried this yet...but it's always in the back out our minds.
8. Stay in academic buildings during the school day. I think there is something called studying? Don't know if you have heard of it.
9. Learn how to build a fire in your fireplace. For some strange reason, we have not used our perfectly good fire place. Currently the TV is in front of it.
10. Live some place warmer. Moving to Florida might be a safeguard to all these tips.
3 comments:
Good tips. I especially like No. 7. Hee.
did you mean 6 degrees Fahrenheit? Celsius would be a balmy 43 F.
oh yeah, nice image. looks like you.
7 is my fave!
In fact, we're practically 1/3 of the way there in the basement! If the rest of you schmucks would pull your act together!
Post a Comment