
pubcit.typepad.com/.../
Today I want to "SMAD Day" at JMU. This is the School of Media Arts and Design event where alumni come back to JMU, share their insights, and network with us for possible job leads.
One of the key buzz works of the day was "networking."
For some this word makes people feel uncomftorable because they feel like it is something forced. For others, like me, I love the word because I love to do it.
Here are some tips I have learned over the last few years to snage some sweet internships, experiences and great contacts.
1. Networking is not in a vacume
-I am a believer that making a connection with someone does not take much. It takes a good hanshake, a genuine interest in the other person and being comftorable and confident in yourself. This should be something that you should practice not only in networking, but in every day encounters with new people and old friends alike. It is a habbit you form to be engaging, lively, and taking interest in the other person. In essence you should be practice good relationship building and in tern good networking skills at all times, not just when you are in a bussiness setting.
2. Humbly sell your self
-Even in short encounters with someone, it is important to let them know what you are all about, and what you could possibly bring to a company. A good way to do this in a way that does not come off as chocky is to explain something you are working on (showing that you have some experience) and ask for their advice. For example today I asked a alumnist what she would do in a situation I am facing in my internship with JMU Public Affairs. It it always a fine line on how to do this without coming off as a robot or as a chocky dude. Never the less, you have to sell yourself before you can ever sell a product.
4. Ask for business card or contact information
-Always ask for a business card after you talk to them. If they don't have a card, write down their information. It does not matter how great your interaction with them went, if you can't contact them in the future it does not even matter. Be bold and ask for their contacts. When you get that card write on it how you met that person so a few months later you have a point of refreence. Take that to another level and find them on Facebook, Linkedin, Twittter, or any other online account they may have.
5. Follow up
-Never underestimate the value of sending an email or even calling to thank them for the interaction you had with them (always positive). This applies to not only to networking, but to interviews, any time someone helps you out, or even after taking a girl out on a date (I am not the right guy to giving dating advice). The point is that people will probably forget who you are if you don't make that extra effort. Do not take it personally, it is just the fact that good employees are constantly meeting someone new who wants something in return. You are not the only one networking with them.
6. Hold on to the "advocate contacts"
-I call "advocate contacts" are someone who will actively help you find a job or find someone who may want to hire you. They are people who go out of their way to help you out. This type of person is a dime in a dozen, but they are HUGE. I have one with a women who works with Microsoft. I met her once and she has already send me links on internship openings, great grad school opertunites, and anything else that might help me down the line in my career. You have to realize that an endourcement by someone for you is the most powerfull tool in landing a job...bar none.
7. Network through parents, classmates and intern friends.
-It is easy to to think that I want to "earn a job on my own merrits." That notion is fair. But if your daddy knows a DADDY, by all means use that contact. For exmaple, my father had a contact with PBS Religion & Ethics Newsweekly when he used to be an advisor for the show, I used that contact to get my foot in the door and land a great internship with them. With other students and interns, they know people as well. In a few years, they will have jobs and have their own extensive network.
8. Internships breed great contacts.
-One of the greatest values of interning is meeting the people in the industry that know a ton of people. They know tons of people in the organization and they know other friends in other organizations. When you intern somewhere, make a point to meet as many people as you possibly can. Also let them know what you are interested in and ask them to look out for opertunities. It takes putting yourself out there a little and may be uncomftorable, but it is worth it.
9. Networking 2.0
-It may seem impersonal, but social networking sites, like Linkedin are great ways to meet new contacts. Nothing beasts the human interaction and personal contact with someone. But do not be afraid to use these tools as vehicles to a new contact
10. Networking just the first step
-Networking is an extremely powerful tool in your career. At the same time, when a contact opens a door for an interview, a job lead, or maybe even career advice. Remember that you still need to have your A game in the interview, have some quality experience, and be a likeable person. All three of these things are something you can make happen. The best way to get better at this is to put your self out there and do it. I always learning how to improve networking and career skills. I hope you learn form some of these tips in some way.
2 comments:
Great tips. I thought there might be three or so but, wow, 10. Good plug for the old man.
I'm not the DADDY but I am the daddy.
I enjoyed this post, Tim! I'm currently helping the company I work for break into social media; any advice? We're in a highly regulated industry (medical device sales), and there are very few to no players in the field to learn from. Hope you're well.
Post a Comment