Today at the last JMU Student Ambassador meeting we had what are called "pass downs." Seniors who are graduating in a couple of days stand up in front of the room to pass down meaningful materials to younger members as well as give their advice. From a giant-sized watch, to JMU "Choices" and "FROG" t-shirts from years past, to even a corn-hole game board, the gifts are creative and all have some meaning.The notes and gifts I recieved from seniors were very meangifull. The former president gave me a candle that was passed down from Exec members in the past. The moto was "keep your light shining." It reminds me that what I do impacts other people, hopefully mostly in a positive way.
As seniors went up and gave their passdowns, some taking longer than others, there were moments where I could not help notice that the whole room had a tear in their eye (including me). It's a reminder that as I go throught the most exciting journey of my life here at JMU, it's important to get perspective of what I really remember about being a Student Ambassador.
Sure, there is tremendous pride in giving a tour on a spring day or going to "Crab Fest" with D.C. JMU alumni, or even hacking my way through the Relay for Life golf tournment. I love giving my time for this place I call home.
On the other hand, some things will stick with me far past when I graduate in a little over a year from now.
-It's hearing the 1983 country hit "Dixieland Delight," by Alabama, and thinking about the excitement of this community, trips to the beach, ice skating and roller skating, and every social event in between.
-It's the warm hug from a SA alumni, like Tripp Perks, when I see them at a JMU football game tailgate.
-It's laughing so hard that it makes my stomach hurt when we recall stories from years past.
More than anything it's the people. People that come from different religious, ethnic and geogrpahic locations, yet at the same time have something so rooted in common that its almost undeniable.
As my junior year winds down, I feel more motivated than ever to make my senior year full of rich and fruitfull memories like this senior SA class has made. I bleed purple and gold more than ever.
From Dixieland Delight...I say good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment